Ever wanted to use CBD oils in food or drinks but weren’t sure where to start? We have recently teamed up with our newest Brand Ambassador Pescatarianldn to craft a number of exciting CBD based creations for you to try! You can find more of her recipes over on her Instagram page!
Quick, delicious and pleasantly refreshing! I am a sucker for a frappé and so when Lockdown happened and the sun was shining, this was one of the first things I missed and therefore wanted to recreate!
Your basic frappé contains just 4 simple ingredients but we have taken this particular frappé to the next level by adding CBD and chocolate! What I love about a Frappé is that it is extremely easy to make while also being very versatile. You can add so many different things to give it that extra umph; chocolate, whipped cream, caramel, cookies, ice cream or even protein powder!
A frappé is traditionally a Greek iced drink and is the result of an experiment conducted by Dimitris Vakondios, a Nescafe representative, in the 1950s. One day he was at an International Trade Fair, promoting a new chocolate drink made instantly using a shaker! While on a break he wanted to have his regular coffee but did not have any hot water to hand and so instead used a shaker to mix together instant coffee and cold water creating a frothy iced coffee. Today in Greece the Frappé is one of the most popular drinks and over the years the recipe has evolved into the drink that has become a staple in trendy coffee shops around the globe.
- Pour your leftover coffee into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight! That way you won't water down your Frappé as the ice melts!
- Do a quick taste test. If there's anything I learnt from working at a Cafe, it's that everyone likes their coffees with a different sweetness. A café bought frappé has an awful amount of sugar in it so try 1 tablespoon and if you think it needs more, whack some more in!
- Add a pinch (1/8 tsp) of Xanthan Gum. If you have ever tried to make a Frappé or an iced drink at home, you may have experienced the drink separating as the ice melts. Shop and coffee bought frappés add stabilisers and thickeners (i.e. Xanthan Gum) to alter the consistency and prevent separation. This is not a must, as you can just stir it in between sips, but if you have it at home already, go for it!
INGREDIENTS (1 serving)
- Love Hemp CBD oil (natural or peppermint). I use 4 drops of 10% (20MG) CBD oil, which is a relatively low dose, however, you may choose to have more.
- Instant coffee (2-3 heaped tsp) or 2 shots of Espresso, it needs to be strong!
- 1-2 tbsp of sugar, or to taste
- Ice cubes, enough to fill your glass
- Milk (or vegan alternative), 1/3 of your cup
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Pinch of Xanthan Gum – see Top Tips
- Biscuit of your choice
- MOCHA: 1 tbsp chocolate syrup, or melt down a small handful of chocolate in microwave
- CARAMEL: 1 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Add 60ml hot water to your instant coffee or brews two espresso shots let it cool.
- Add all the main ingredients and blitz in a blender until smooth (about half a minute).
- Do the taste test.
- Pour into a glass, add whipped cream and top with crumbled biscuit of choice
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Don't have a blender? No problem. Make it the traditional Greek way by using a cocktail shaker or an old jar (ensure you only fill the jar 3/4 ). While it won't have the same consistency, it will still have the frothy, chilled element that we all love!